Schock, prosecutors find resolution on contempt accusations

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock and his attorneys have reached a temporary resolution with federal prosecutors on civil contempt accusations he faced for failing to produce campaign and congressional records.

The Peoria Republican appeared Tuesday and Wednesday in federal court in Springfield on the contempt issue.

Both Schock’s attorney, George Terwillinger, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Timothy Bass said both sides reached an agreement. The Office of the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of Illinois didn’t immediately comment on details.

Schock, who resigned in March, is under federal investigation over his use of taxpayer and campaign money. A federal grand jury has been hearing testimony from former members of Schock’s staff. Last month, FBI agents removed boxes and other items from his central Illinois campaign office.

Federal prosecutors’ move to hold Schock in contempt on the issue of producing records wasn’t public record until Wednesday.

“I believe we have at least a temporary resolution that would cause us to request that we postpone this hearing and proceed no further,” Bass told U.S. District Court Judge Sue Myerscough, who had ordered Schock to produce the documents.

Terwillinger said Schock was looking to secure his “constitutional rights in connection with a grand jury investigation. We are very pleased that we reached an agreement with the government that protects Mr. Schock’s rights as we complete the task of making available thousands of pages of documents.”

But still at issue are documents from Schock’s 18th Congressional District office, which his attorneys have said may be exempt. Bass said prosecutors plan to subpoena the U.S. House for the congressional material.

The issue next will be addressed at an Aug. 28 video status conference.

blog comments powered by Disqus