South Richmond senior living facility evacuated after gas leak

Melvin A Fox Manor, a senior living facility located in Richmond's south side had a gas leak Friday night which led to the facility's evacuation.

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Residents at a senior living facility in Richmond’s southside have been evacuated after a gas leak occurred Friday night.

A person who lives at Melvin A. Fox Manor, located at the intersection of West 27th Street and Bainbridge Street told 8News that occupants smelled gas and called the city.

According to the RRHA website, the 50-unit apartment complex provides affordable housing for senior citizens.

Shortly thereafter, firefighters arrived and helped people get out.

The Department of Public Utilities has identified the problem and crews are still working to seal the leak, according to Captain Earl Dyer, a spokesman for the Richmond Fire Department.

The leak is in the rear of the facility which is approximately 200 feet from where the seniors were located, he added.

The evacuated seniors are currently in a “safe zone,” Dyer said.

“If the line can’t be fixed this evening,” Dyer said, “a plan is being worked out to secure the seniors until repairs are made.”

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.