Baltimore detective dies after being shot in head; manhunt underway

Police in Baltimore, Maryland, investigate the scene where an 18-year-veteran was shot in the head.

BALTIMORE (AP) — A homicide detective with the Baltimore police force has died after he was shot in the head Wednesday while working in a troubled area of the city grappling with high crime rates, according to an ABC News report.

Outside the hospital where the gravely wounded 18-year veteran was fighting for his life, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said a manhunt was underway for a “cold, callous killer” who shot the detective who was “just doing his job.”

Federal agencies were offering a $60,000 reward for information leading to the gunman’s arrest.

Police representatives say homicide detective Sean Suiter was an 18-year veteran with the Baltimore police and that he was conducting a follow-up to a homicide around 5 p.m. Wednesday when he saw someone acting suspiciously.

When Suiter approached the man, he was shot in the head. His partner who was nearby rushed over and rendered aid. Shortly thereafter he was taken to the hospital and placed on life support.

He died around noon Thursday.

ABC reports he was a married father of five.

“This is a dangerous profession. This is a dangerous job. Police officers know that at any given time they could confront someone who wants to do them harm, and that’s exactly what happened tonight,” Davis said, adding that it would be a “long night” for investigators seeking “every bit of evidence.”

Police cordoned off streets in the West Baltimore area and a tactical unit combed alleyways searching for a shooter. Numerous cruisers responded and a police helicopter buzzed overhead, illuminating streets below with a searchlight. The neighborhood has a number of vacant row houses.

Dr. Thomas Scalea, chief of the University of Maryland Medical Center’s Shock Trauma Center, said the injured officer was on life support in the intensive care unit.

“We are doing everything we can to keep him stabilized and to take care of the injury to his brain,” he said, flanked by Davis and Mayor Catherine Pugh.

Wednesday’s shooting of the police officer comes amid a particularly violent period in Baltimore: So far this year, the city of roughly 620,000 inhabitants has seen more than 300 homicides.

Pugh called for a halt to the violence — a frequently repeated refrain in Baltimore.

“We are praying for peace in our streets. And I can say to you all again and again: Enough is enough. Crime has to come to an end in this city. This kind of violence cannot be tolerated,” she said.


Click here to download the new-and-improved 8News App

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to