Richmond Fire: Discarded cigarette from rooftop bar caused Quirk Hotel fire

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Richmond Fire crews battled a blaze at a popular hotel and restaurant early Sunday afternoon.

Officials at the Quirk Hotel where the fire happened said that the two-alarm started from a discarded cigarette from their rooftop bar, which landed on a room balcony below, smoldered, then started the fire, assisted by light winds.

No one was injured in the fire.

The Quirk Hotel is located at 201 West Broad Street.

The first fire crews entered the building at about 11:45 a.m. Sunday and the fire was marked under control in about an hour. A second alarm was called for backup during that time.

Quirk Hotel representatives said the damage was very minimal and only on the exterior of the building. No rooms were damaged and the hotel remains open.

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.