CHESTERFIELD CO. Va. (WRIC) — Chesterfield Fire officials report that a house fire in the 6100 block of Morningmist Drive has injured one and left three without a home.
The fire started Monday morning in the garage when a lit cigarette ignited gasoline vapors from a gas can.
The fire soon spread to the rest of the two-story home.
Crews were called to the scene at around 10:30 a.m.
When they arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the attached garage.
One person suffered non-life threatening injuries and was taken to the hospital.
Fire crews said that it took them about forty minutes to get the fire under control.
Additional crews were called to assist to give crews some relief due to the heat. Crews from the City of Richmond and the Defense Logistics Agency also responded.
All told, two adults and a juvenile were displaced and are being assisted by the Red Cross.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.