Colonial Williamsburg moves forward with summer plans, begins recovery from financial troubles

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — A horse and buggy clip-clops down the street, as an interpreter portraying Martha Washington takes a moment to speak with children visiting Colonial Williamsburg with their families.

Officials at the historic site tell 8News it is business as usual this summer for visitors following last week’s announcement the foundation eliminated jobs and outsourced departments amidst financial troubles.

“Our folks are out, and we’re fully staffed right now out on the streets,” says Peter Seibert, the Executive Director of the Historic Area.

Seibert gave 8News Anchor Amy Lacey a glimpse at a new axe throwing range scheduled to open on July 16. It will give guests a chance to try out a popular pastime of the day.

“This was kind of the 18th century version of tv where people would be out there giving it a throw with their axe practicing how to do it,” he explains. “It really wasn’t something done in war. It was done sort of more as a hobby.”

Seibert adds the range is one of a few attractions making their debut during the summer.

“Folks who come here now are going to see the same Williamsburg that they were used to over the years,” he says. “Just a lot of fun people having a good time.”

Work on a historically-accurate addition also continues at Raleigh Tavern, which was the first reconstructed building on the grounds of what became Colonial Williamsburg.

Stay with 8News for updates.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.