(WRIC) — Grill Master, Mark Smith from Longhorn Steakhouse, shares grilling tips and demonstrates how to make the Hickory Salt Crusted Filet.
- 4 ea. 8 oz. beef tenderloin filets
- 1 cup of hickory salt
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Clean and oil your grill, heat to 550 degrees.
- Season steaks generously with hickory salt by pressing into the meat on both sides.
- Place seasoned steaks on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until desired degree of doneness has been reached. Make quarter turns to get diamond marks.
- While the steaks are grilling, soften butter at room temperature in a small mixing bowl for 10 minutes.
- Once softened add the garlic and lemon juice. Use a fork to blend the ingredients together. Hold for service.
- Remove steaks from grill.
- Top warm steaks with softened garlic butter.
Recipe serves four.
Degrees of Doneness:
- Rare: 95-105 degrees. Cool red center.
- Medium Rare: 115-125 degrees. Warm red center with a hint of pink.
- Medium: 130-140 degrees. Warm pink center.
- Medium Well: 150-160 degrees. Some pink in the center.
- Well: 165-175 degrees. No pink, cooked all the way through.
Grill Master tips
Need help with your Independence day meal? Click here for tips.