Appliance repair leads to apartment fire in Henrico County

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Crews in Henrico County spent 40 minutes battling an apartment fire that sparked while repairs were being made to an appliance in a utility closet.

At around 4:30 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the 2300 block of Hampstead Avenue near the intersection of Broad Street and Libbie Avenue for a possible gas leak. Units arrived within minutes and found smoke coming from the roof.

Crews quickly located and controlled the fire, which initiated in a utility closet and extended up into the apartment above. The incident took roughly 40 minutes to mark under control.

Officials say the fire appears to have begun when work was being done on a gas line leading to an appliance.

No one was injured. Officials say the unit where the fire originated ‘may not be inhabitable for the short term’ as they continue to investigate.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.