Man dies after swimming in the Gulf Of Mexico with new tattoo

Image courtesy of WKRG

(WKRG/CNN) — Doctors say a man in Texas has died because he went swimming too soon after getting a tattoo.

According to medical journal “BMJ Case Reports”, he was in the Gulf of Mexico five days after getting the tattoo of a cross and praying hands and the words “Jesus is my life.”

That’s where he was infected by the bacteria causing the infection vibriosis.

The infection sent him to the hospital where the 31-year-old quickly developed septic shock and died about two months later.

One of the top rules after getting a new tattoo is to avoid swimming and bathing because it’s easy to pick up infections.One doctor says the lesson here is to follow safety recommendations after getting new ink.

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com