3 occupants displaced after Colonial Heights shed fire spreads to nearby homes

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (WRIC) — Three Colonial Heights residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross after they were displaced Saturday afternoon by a fire that spread from a shed.

Colonial Heights Fire officials said that the fire began just after 4 p.m. in the 400 block of Moorman Avenue.

When crews arrived, they found a shed fully engulfed in flames. At that point, the fire had already spread to the main house and to a neighboring property.

Officials said that the shed and its contents were a complete loss, but that the main house and the neighbor’s house and a detached garage only suffered minor damage.

While minor, the damage was enough to temporarily displace three residents.

Fire personnel from Chesterfield, Fort Lee, and Petersburg all responded to the scene to help. A fire unit from Prince George responded to fill in at a station to cover the rest of the city while units responded.

There were no injuries.

Fire officials ruled that an electrical failure from an overloaded circuit caused the fire.

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.