Tom Cruise reveals ‘Top Gun 2’ to begin filming soon

THE 84TH ACADEMY AWARDS(r) - THEATRE - Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 presented on Sunday, February 26 (8:30 p.m., ET/5:30 p.m., PT), from the Hollywood & Highland Center(r) and televised live by the ABC Television Network. (A.M.P.A.S.(r)) TOM CRUISE

SYDNEY (AP) — The Danger Zone may have gotten old and dusty, but Tom Cruise says he’s about to fly back in.

The 54-year-old actor says the long-discussed sequel to “Top Gun” is a sure thing and should start shooting soon.

Cruise made the announcement Wednesday in response to questions from anchors on the Australian morning news show “Sunrise.”

The actor said filming will likely begin within the next year. He added, “It’s definitely happening.”

Cruise has said in similar interviews that the film was in development and a strong possibility, but has not offered such clear confirmation.

The 1986 Reagan-era flyboy epic propelled Cruise to superstar status.

Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of the original, had been dropping hints too. He posted a picture of himself and Cruise on Saturday’s 31st anniversary of the original’s release.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.