HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Crews in Henrico County battled heavy smoke and flames at a home in the county’s west end Wednesday afternoon.
The home is located in the 8000 block of River Road, just west of Forest Ave.
When crews arrived shortly before 3:30 p.m., they found heavy smoke coming from the single-story home.
8News spoke to a neighbor who called 911 to report the fire. He said he was checking his mailbox when he noticed smoking coming from both chimneys of the home and pouring out from under the roof.
There are no reported injuries at this time. A Henrico Fire spokesperson told 8News that they rescued a dog from inside the home and provided first aid on scene.
The fire was brought under control in less than an hour, and two people were displaced. Police said they will be staying nearby with relatives and Red Cross assistance was not required.
After an investigation, the fire marshal’s office determined to the blaze be accidental with the cause either electrical or mechanical involving the gas line in the kitchen.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.