3 people hospitalized after water boiler explodes, destroying Petersburg business

PETERSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — Three people were taken to the hospital Friday afternoon after a water boiler exploded, causing serious damage to a business in Petersburg.

Little is known at this time about the condition of the victims, but Captain Braswell with Petersburg Police said that none of the injuries are thought to be life-threatening.

8News spoke with representatives from the Curtis Bay Medical Waste Services company who own the building. They confirmed that the explosion was caused by a water boiler and said that it destroyed an exterior wall.

They also said that there is no current public health hazard as a result of the explosion.

They also said that there is no current public health hazard as a result of the explosion.

According to sources, businesses several blocks away reported hearing the explosion and feeling the ground shake.The building is located at 1945 Puddledock Road.

Multiple jurisdictions are responding to the scene

8News is there, and we will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips toiReport8@wric.com.