HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) –The Henrico County Fire Department says that improperly discarded smoking materials started the fire that displaced 21 people overnight at the Tuckernuck Trail Apartments.
Firefighters battled the two-alarm apartment fire in Henrico County’s west end early Friday morning.
Henrico Fire says the fire sparked around 1:45 a.m. at the Tuckernuck Trail Apartments located on St. Martins Trail.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they saw heavy flames and smoke coming from the second-floor apartment and roof, with the fire spreading to adjacent apartments.
” We just heard this loud popping noise. We actually woke up because we thought it was gun shots. I grabbed the phone and grabbed our dog then next thing you know I’m outside and it is just like day light. The fire was that huge and it was just spreading,” said Emily Mitchell.
The fire was marked under control in about 90 minutes.
Firefighters say at least a dozen apartments were damaged. Although no one was hurt in the fire, 21 people are now displaced. The Red Cross is assisting the occupants with their needs.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.