RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Cardiovascular diseases kill nearly 1 in 3 women each year or approximately one woman every 80 seconds. The number 1 killer of women, heart disease takes more women’s lives than all forms of cancer combined. That’s why the Go Red For Women campaign, powered the American Heart Association, is educating and connecting millions of women of all ages to fight this deadly, yet preventable disease.
Please support Go Red For Women in central Virginia by wearing red this Friday, February 3, National Wear Red Day, or by participating in one of our fundraising our awareness activities this month:
- National Wear Red Day – Feb. 3. Wear red, organize an awareness, or create your own fundraising donation page. Go to GoRedForWomen.org/WearRedDay to learn how.
- Babies Go Red – Feb. 3. All babies born at Bon Secours Richmond area hospitals on this day will receive a red cap hand knitted by AHA local volunteers.
- Hands-Only CPR training – Feb. 3, 9:00 – 11:00 am. Free and open to the public. First 100 participants receive a free Family and Friends CPR Anytime kit. Location: General Assembly Building, 5th Floor East Conference Room. Supported by the AHA & Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation.
- RVA Women’s Health and Fitness Expo, Feb, 4, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Location: Richmond Convention Center. Visit the American Heart Association booth and learn more about how to reduce your risk for heart disease and stroke. First 200 to register in our free blood pressure control program receive an AHA cookbook.
- Macy’s Red Dress Pin Sale – Feb. 3 – 8. Purchase a red dress pin, a symbol of the Go Red For Women campaign for $3 and receive special in-store savings. All local pin sales go directly back to the AHA in central Virginia to support research and programs.
- Go Red For Women Luncheon, Feb. 10. Location: Jefferson Hotel. Networking reception with silent auction, heart healthy lunch and educational presentation. Locally sponsored by Bon Secours Richmond. For tickets and details: RichmondVaGoRedLuncheon.heart.org
Go Red For Women is the American Heart Association’s national movement to end heart disease and stroke in women because it’s not just a man’s disease. In fact, more women than men die every year from heart disease and stroke. The good news is that 80 percent of cardiac events can be prevented with education and lifestyle changes. Go Red For Women advocates for more research and swifter action for women’s heart health. The American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement is nationally sponsored by Macy’s, with additional support from our cause supporters. For more information, please visit GoRedForWomen.org or call 1-888-MY-HEART (1-888-694-3278).
The American Heart Association is devoted to saving people from heart disease and stroke – the two leading causes of death in the world. We team with millions of volunteers to fund innovative research, fight for stronger public health policies, and provide lifesaving tools and information to prevent and treat these diseases. The Dallas-based association is the nation’s oldest and largest voluntary organization dedicated to fighting heart disease and stroke. To learn more or to get involved, call 1-800-AHA-USA1, visit heart.org or call any of our offices around the country.
Otherwise, you can contribute by wearing red and Tweeting your pictures @AmericanHeartVA or by tagging the Richmond American Heart Association at #GoRedRVA on Facebook and Instagram.