Firefighter injured, family pet dies in Colonial Heights Christmas fire

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (WRIC) — A firefighter is recovering Monday morning after an apartment fire in Colonial Heights Christmas evening.

The fire occurred on Newcastle Drive. Colonial Heights Fire said the tenants were not at home at the time of the fire.

8News was told that one firefighter suffered a knee injury and a family pet died during the blaze. No one else was hurt.

The cause of the fire is believed to be cooking related.

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.