RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Six college-age residents living in the Randolph Community have been displaced after a house fire happened Sunday morning on Idlewood Avenue. One of the residents suffered burns to the face and hands and was transported to VCU Medical Center for treatment.
The extent of the injuries is not currently known.
Fire officials said that the fire began when a sofa that was too close to a heater caught fire. The residents noticed the smoke and immediately got up and left.
When fire crews arrived, they saw flames visible from the front of the house.
Neighbors on Idlewood Avenue in Richmond recall the shocking moment when they saw a house across the street was engulfed in flames.
“I heard a girl screaming get out get out over and over at least six and seven times,” said neighbor Savannah Richards.
Neighbors said they couldn’t believe what they saw, but they are thankful everyone made it out alive.
“I just saw smoke at first and then within seconds it was completely in flames,” Richards said.
Richards lives just across the street from the home that caught fire early Sunday morning.
“I had my phone and I was going to call 911 but within seconds ambulances and fire trucks were already here,” Richards said. “So I immediately woke up my roommates.”
Her roommate, Madeline Tate said what she saw was something right out of a movie.
“She pulls me outside and the entire house down the street is in flames,” Madeline Tate said. “I’ve never seen anything like that.”
Another neighbor told 8 News people had to jump from the second story balcony to escape and that the six people who lived there were a mix off college students and recent grads.
“We don’t know them but they seem around my age,” said Richards. “They easily could be people we have classes with, which is really scary.”
While the home was severely damaged, only one person inside suffered burn injuries.
“The back of the house looks untouched but who knows what the inside looks like,” said Tate. “From here, it looks like everything from the front rooms is gone at least.”
The fire was brought under control very quickly, but a cat died as a result of the fire.
The six displaced residents did not require assistance from the Red Cross, as they will be staying with friends and family.
The incident occurred at 1301 Idlewood Avenue.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.