Owner no longer wants to sell club targeted by mass shooting

FILE - In this June 17, 2016 file photo, law enforcement officials stand outside the Pulse nightclub following Sunday's mass shooting, in Orlando, Fla. More police departments are exploring technology that would allow 911 emergency dispatchers to receive text messages from people who need help. When gunshots rang out at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando last month, patrons hid from the gunman and frantically texted relatives to call 911 because Orlando doesn't have 911 texting. (AP Photo/David Goldman, File)

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The owner of the Florida nightclub where the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history took place says she’s no longer interested in selling the property to the city of Orlando.

Pulse nightclub owner Barbara Poma said in a statement Monday that she can’t walk away from the property.

Last month, the city of Orlando announced plans to purchase Pulse and eventually convert it into a memorial.

The city had planned to pay $2.25 million for the gay nightclub property.

Poma says in her statement she plans to use the space to create a “sanctuary of hope” and a welcoming area where people can reflect on those affected by the tragedy.

Forty-nine people were killed and dozens more injured after gunman Omar Mateen opened fire inside the nightclub last June.

Never miss another Facebook post from 8News

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.