RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Preparing for winter is key, especially in your home. 8News has some helpful ideas for things you need to do to get ready.
- Make sure your furnace is inspected and tuned up before using it. This includes a good cleaning and making sure it remains clean throughout the Winter.
- Otherwise, reversing ceiling fans to make them rotate clockwise will force warm air down and circulate heat throughout the room.
- The US Department of Energy says that drafts can waste between five and 30 percent of energy used. To prevent this from happening, they recommend that residents block any air leaks around windows and doors.
- Winterize your air conditioner by draining any pipes or hoses from the air conditioner so they don’t freeze during the Winter months. Also, vacuum any pools of water in the AC pan and cover it with a plastic air conditioner cover.
- Wrap your pipes to help prevent them from freezing and creating damage and breakage. This also reduces heat loss and saves you money.
- Get your chimney inspected if you plan on using the fireplace. Thousands of fires originate in chimneys each winter.
- Lastly, check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Keep you and your family safe by changing the batteries and making sure both are working properly.