APPLETON, Wis. (WBAY) – An Appleton woman dropped her toddler out a second-floor bedroom window into the hands of a neighbor, and then jumped out the window herself to escape a house fire Tuesday morning.
According to the Appleton Fire Department, the woman realized their townhouse was on fire when she was awakened by her 18-month-old daughter, who was coughing and fidgeting. She broke a window and screamed for help, getting the attention of a neighbor who came outside to see what was going on.
After the neighbor caught the child, she piled cushions below the window for the mother to jump to safety.
The mother and child and the neighbor were taken to a hospital to be treated.
Firefighters say the fire started in the kitchen after another woman in the townhouse was cooking, then left to go to the store.
The five people woh lived in that apartment and the family of the neighbor who helped all need to find another place to stay while the fire and smoke damage is cleaned up. The American Red Cross is helping eight people in all.
The Appleton Fire Department, Grand Chute Fire Department, Gold Cross Ambulance, WE Energies, and Outagamie County Community Emergency Response Team all responded to Friday morning’s fire.