RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Joe Morrissey held a press conference Saturday to announce that his campaign will continue, despite recently publicized allegations that he made sexual advances toward a client at his law office back in February.
In a recent Richmond Times-Dispatch article, Kanika S. Morris accused Morrissey of exposing himself and sending lewd text messages before handing her off to another lawyer in his office when she refused them.
Morris said the other lawyer then pressured her into taking a plea deal.
In the press conference, Morrissey once more denied the claims of sexual advances and displayed a court document that he said proves that Morris knew about the plea deal and had agreed to it.
Morrissey, along with his lawyer, also announced he would give the Richmond Times-Dispatch a chance to publish a retraction of their previous story along with an apology, saying that they failed to fact-check Morris’s story before publishing it.
Morrissey also said that he is willing to go under oath to defend his story as early as Monday.
Morrissey previously released a statement acknowledging that Morris did come to his office but claimed that he was never alone with her.
“At no time was there any inappropriate behavior, inappropriate touching, etc.,” Morrissey wrote in his statement.
Attorney Catherine Mullins, who handled much of the work in Morris’s case, confirmed this via an email message that Morrissey included with his statement.
Morrissey also admitted that he had briefly dated Morris, but said that the relationship had ended years ago.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.