(ABC News) — According to ABC News, FBI Director James Comey released a statement on Friday which said that the FBI will reopen their previously closed investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails from when she was secretary of state.
“In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation,” Comey wrote in his letter.
Comey said in the letter that upon being briefed on the other case, he agreed that “the FBI should take appropriated investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation.”
“Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant, and I cannot predict how long it will take us to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony,” Comey’s letter to congressional committee members said.
Virginia Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte, the House Judiciary Committee chairman responded to the statement on Twitter.
The news comes nearly four months after Comey publicly announced that Clinton would not be charged over her use of a private email server while Secretary of State.
Back in July, Comey had said that while there was evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, it was determined that no reasonable prosecutor would do so.
At the time Comey also said that while he wouldn’t consider Clinton’s actions criminal, he would consider them “extremely careless.”
Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan also issued a statement via Twitter.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.