CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WRIC) — The Virginia Cavaliers will be in the hunt for their third ACC regular season title in four season once again, as the predictions for the 2016-2017 season were announced at ACC media day today in Charlotte, N.C.
Tony Bennett, entering his eighth season in Charlottesville, begins with his most successful class in Hoos’ hoops history gone with only All-ACC point guard London Perrantes returning.
The Cavs, who will feature an entirely new starting lineup on Nov. 11th against UNC-Greensboro at John Paul Jones Arena, have been picked to finish third in the ACC behind Duke (1st) and North Carolina (2nd).
Virginia lost last year in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament to Syracuse (predicted to finish fifth this upcoming season).
Virginia Tech, who exited the NIT in the second round in 2016, is predicted to finish 10th in the ACC.
The Hokies are again led by head coach Buzz Williams, in his third year in Blacksburg. Coach Williams returns many of his key players, including Seth Allen, Zach LeDay and Kerry Blackshear Jr. Henry Clarke will return as well and see an increased role at Cassell Coliseum.
Virginia Tech opens the season Nov. 11th at the Cassell against Maine.
Here’s the predicted final standings for this upcoming ACC season:
- Duke Blue Devils (85 first place votes, 1,359 points)
- North Carolina Tar Heels (six first place votes, 1,239 points)
- Virginia Cavaliers (1,125 points)
- Louisville Cardinals (1,034 points)
- Syracuse Orange (905 points)
- N.C. State Wolfpack (772 points)
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (716 points)
- Florida State (705 points)
- Miami Hurricanes (650 points)
- Virginia Tech Hokies (645 points)
- Clemson Tigers (623 points)
- Pittsburgh Panthers (511 points)
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (309 points)
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (199 points)
- Boston College Eagles (128 points)