(Moneytips.com) — Ever wonder where eBay came from? Here are five fun facts about the web auction website.
1. The first item ever sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer. It was purchased for $14.83 in $14.83.
2. The most expensive item sold on eBay to date is a yacht, which was auctioned off for an incredible $168 million in 2006.
3. An entire town was once sold on eBay for $900,000 by its only resident: Buford, Wyoming.
4. eBay started in the U.S., but sells more items per capita in the UK than anywhere else in the world.
5. You can buy Warren Buffett on eBay. Every year, the market mogul auctions off a lunch with himself for charity. In 2016, just like 2012, he sold for a record $3,456,789.
This article was provided by our partners at moneytips.com.
- Strange Ways People Make Money Online
- Online Shopping Surpasses In-Store
- Five Fun Financial Facts about Video Games