DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is in the final stages of construction on the roundabout project at the intersection of Ferndale Road and Cox Road in Dinwiddie County.
Traffic will be shifted into a roundabout configuration beginning Thursday, October 20. Drivers will be temporarily guided by orange barrels while crews work to install the permanent concrete islands and other roundabout traffic devices.
The primary purpose of this project is to improve safety and traffic operations at the Ferndale Road and Cox Road intersection, as well as the Boydton Plank Road and Cox Road intersection.
The signal at the Ferndale Road and Cox Road intersection will be replaced with a single lane roundabout which will address safety and road capacity needs.
The improvements on Route 1 at Cox Roadwill consist of minor widening to provide better turning movements and to accommodate bicyclists.
Drivers should use the following tips in the new traffic pattern:
- Follow signs and pavement markings for your safety.
- Slow down when approaching the roundabout.
- Yield to traffic already in the roundabout.
- As you enter the roundabout, keep right and drive in the counter-clockwise direction. Do not turn left when entering a roundabout.
- Do not change lanes or stop when in the roundabout.
- Construction began summer 2015 to improve this intersection and is expected to be complete by the end of the year.
For more information about the improvements project, visit www.virginiadot.org.