(WRIC) — As the NFL season heats up, the folks at Money Tips bring you 5 fun financial facts about America’s favorite professional sport.
1. Over the last 4 seasons, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees was the highest-paid player at $80 million, but endured 123 sacks, while NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell earned $145 million.
2. The average NFL franchise is worth nearly $2 billion, with the Dallas Cowboys the most valuable sports team in the world at $4 billion, per Forbes. They haven’t won a Super Bowl in more than 20 years.
3. Super Bowl commercials (which now cost $5 million for 30 seconds) are much-watched, but during each half of regular-season games, there are ten prescribed commercial breaks following the official kickoff. Plus more at halftime!
4. In 1962, CBS paid $4.65 million to show regular-season games. Today, 4 national networks are spending $39.6 billion to broadcast 9 seasons of football.
5. The average salary last season was $2.15 million, with a minimum of $435,000. In 2009, when these salaries were $1.896 million and $310,000, Sports Illustrated reported that 78% of former NFL players went bankrupt just two years after retirement.
This article was provided by our partners at moneytips.com.