RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Bon Secours says they will remove the blighted vacant homes 8News first told you about back in April.
The hospital system says it is working with Henrico and Richmond to get the necessary permits to remove the homes located behind St. Mary’s on near the Richmond-Henrico border.
Neighbors had complained to 8News this past spring that the homes were an eyesore. Neighbor Cristin Kane had told us, “a lot of the houses are in disrepair, broken glass, garbage, graffiti on the house, trash left in the yards.”
Bon Secours promised to clean them up and 8News has been checking in to see if the hospital system is sticking to their promise. 8News found at least one of the homes is still covered in graffiti, however, some progress was spotted. Some of the homes with broken windows are now boarded up, lawns have been mowed and shrubs cut back.
Still, neighbors continued to report break-ins at these homes. Just last week, a homeless person was found squatting in a house on Maple Avenue.
After 8News reached back out to Bon Secours, we were told Thursday the homes will be removed and the area will graded and seeded for grass.
“We will send the neighbors certified letters in the coming weeks explaining how Bon Secours has decided that the best course of action is the removal of these houses,” Bon Secours said in a statement. “In these letters, we will be able to provide the neighbors with a timeline.”
Bon Secours also says St. Mary’s security is patrolling the area several times per day and night and reports suspicious activity to police.