Repeat carbon monoxide exposure has Henrico County mom ready to move

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A mother and small son are afraid to stay in her apartment after repeated exposure to carbon monoxide. The woman said property management at the Treehouse Apartments refused to allow her to move into another unit while the source of the toxic gas is found. The problems began on August

“I’m really fearful for my life and his,” Garrison said, holding her five-year-old son in her arms.

The problems began on August 7th when carbon monoxide triggered an alarm at the Northside Richmond apartment. Multiple health scares and hospital trips later, Latrice Garrison said she is at the end of her rope.

“I’m really fearful for my life and his,” Garrison said, holding her five-year-old son in her arms.

Garrison has been to the hospital four times in a two-week span and still does not know where the carbon monoxide in her apartment is coming from.

carbon3

“After I was released from the hospital, [the detector] went off again,” she said.

On August 11, fire crews detected a dangerously high CO concentration of 156 parts per million near the oven in the apartment. The oven had been replaced two days prior after an earlier scare, eliminating it as the cause of a carbon leak. Gas supply to the new oven was shut off. The apartment was ventilated.

“I was groggy, head hurting, everything else,” Garrison recalled.

Medics rushed her to the emergency room, where she stayed three nights to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, according to medical documents.

“I was on oxygen; they had a heart monitor on me, and took my blood every four to six hours,” she said.

Even after her most recent discharge from the hospital, Garrison says property management still has not found the source of the leak, refusing to agree to relocate her. Fearful for her son’s and her own health, Garrison said she has repeatedly asked to move into another unit on site.

carbon2

“I don’t have anywhere to go,” she told 8News.

Those pleas, she said, are falling on deaf ears.

“Me and my baby, we’ve got to go back to this house and I’m not sleeping because of it. I’m stressed out,” she said.

Despite repeat attempts for comment, the apartment’s property manager has yet to explain their side of the situation to 8News. We will update this story if that changes.

Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. More than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.

carbon4

This is a developing story. Stay with 8News online and on air for the latest updates.

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Comments are closed.