Woodlake pool evacuated after chlorine incident

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Nine people have been evaluated, and three others were treated for minor irritations, caused by chlorine being improperly handled at the Woodlake Aquatics and Fitness Center.

According to a press release from the Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Service, the incident occurred after a container of granulated pool chlorine was left open, without a lid. This led to moisture building up within the bucket, causing a gaseous reaction.

In the release, officials also warned that mishandling of pool chemicals can also cause chemical burns to the skin, and inhalation of gases like those that occurred at Woodlake can lead to irritations or burns in the respiratory tract.

Anyone who comes in physical contact with chlorine should flush the area with lots of water. If inhaled, patients should go somewhere well ventilated and seek medical attention.

In this instance, however, patients were treated on-scene and did not require transportation to the hospital.

Fire and rescue crews arrived on the scene after a call and remained there until noon Thursday.

The aquatics center, however, will remain closed for the rest of the day.

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Comments are closed.