Update: No active shooter at Joint Base Andrews

In this photo taken July 15, 2016, President Barack Obama rides in his limousine as he arrives at Joint Base Andrews, Md. Joint Base Andrews tweets that the base is on lockdown due to a report of an active shooter. The tweet sent Thursday, June 30, 2016, instructs all personnel at the base in Washington's Maryland suburbs to shelter in place and says more information will be released as it comes. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. (AP) — Officials say reports of an active shooter at a military post outside Washington stemmed from someone who made a distress call after seeing security forces doing a routine inspection.

The confusion was heightened by a planned active shooter drill at Joint Base Andrews that had not yet begun and was planned for later in the morning. The base said in a Facebook post Thursday that there was no shooter and no threat to the base or workers there.

The base instructed all personnel to shelter in place and stay inside.

Joint Base Andrews is located about 20 miles outside of downtown Washington, D.C. and is home to Air Force One.

Rodney Smith, the patient advocate at the Andrews medical facility, said earlier in the day that he was told it was a “real-world” situation.

“First it was an active-shooter exercise. Then it came back ‘real world,’” Smith told AP reporters by phone Thursday morning.

Smith said the situation was unfolding at the newer of two buildings at the Malcolm Grow Medical Facility. He was in the older building.

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Comments are closed.