Grill starts a house fire in Chester

CHESTER, Va. (WRIC) — Fire officials responded to a house fire in Chester Saturday after a grill fire got out of hand.

Officials said the blaze began at 1:30 p.m. in the 2600 block of Eagle Rock Avenue in Chester, Virginia.

The resident was grilling in the backyard when the flames spread to the house.

Matthew Coffin, Chester Fire and EMS Battalion chief, said no one was injured in the fire but there is severe damage to the house.  He is urging people to be careful when grilling this summer.

“Check you appliances as we enter into the summer season,” Chief Coffin said.  “A good idea is to do preventative maintenance.  Make sure you have good safe distances from your grill and to your house or any other combustibles.

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Comments are closed.