Discarded cigarette sparks house fire in Chesterfield County

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Officials say an improperly discarded cigarette sparked a house fire in Chesterfield County early Sunday morning.

Officials responded to the incident at 6:10 a.m. at 2932 Lyndhurst Place. When crews arrived, they found heavy fire conditions on the front porch and the fire rapidly spreading into the house and attic. It took crews approximately 30 minutes to mark the fire under control.

Chesterfield County Fire Marshals determined that a discarded cigarette in a plastic flower pot started the fire.

No one was injured, although two occupants were displaced.

Fire officials urge everyone to make sure all smoking materials are completely extinguished in a sturdy, fire-resistant receptacle.

Find 8News on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Comments are closed.