HENRICO COUNTY, Va (WRIC) — Henrico Fire crews responded to an apartment fire Sunday, which displaced four people, in the West End section of Henrico County.
Crews responded to a report of an apartment fire in the 12300 block of Shore View Drive.
When they arrived at the scene around 3:10 p.m., they could see smoke coming from a two-story apartment complex.
According to officials, crews entered the building and came across heavy fire on two floors and encountered nearly zero visibility.
No one was at home at the time of the fire.
Joshua Ridley, a neighbor, just got home from work when the fire started two doors down from his house.
“I tried to see if there was anyone downstairs,” Ridley said. “I started banging on the windows, and by the time I ran back to the front of the house the whole front window was engulfed in flames.”
He ran next door to let the other neighbors know what was happening.
“They were pretty shocked but what I told them to do was move out of the way, stay back,” he said. Your life is worth more than your iPhone or text messaging or you know, whatever”
Photo credit: Henrico County Division of Fire
Search crews were able to rescue two of the three dogs in the complex.
“That was probably the toughest part was when I was running back up was hearing the dogs,” Ridley said.
One died in the fire on the second level. Another dog was unresponsive but paramedics were able to resuscitate him. The dog was then transported to a local vet.
The fire reached the attic but was contained to the townhouse of origin.
The Red Cross has been contacted to help the family.