2 injured, shooter dead after Wisconsin high school prom shooting

(WBAY) — According to a Facebook post by the Unified School District of Antigo, classes at Antigo High School will resume on Monday. Several agencies conducted a thorough search of Antigo High School and the on-site investigation has been completed. There will be a heightened police presence around the high school and counselors will be available for students.

A shooting outside of the Antigo High School prom injured two students and the left the suspected gunman dead Saturday night. Police say 18-year-old Jakob E. Wagner used a rifle to fire at two students as they left the prom. They say he died after shots were fired back at him by police.

“It scares the daylights out of me,” says Nancy Igl who lives nearby the school.

Wagner died shortly after 1 a.m. in the hospital. A school administrator told the Associated Press that Wagner did not graduate with his class last year at Antigo High School and was working to get his diploma.

Around 11 p.m. Saturday, police say Wagner showed up with a rifle outside the building and started shooting at random, said Antigo Police Chief Eric Roller.

A search warrant is being conducted by police at Wagner’s residence in attempt to seek more information about the incident.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice’s Division of Criminal Investigation has been asked to lead the outside review of the officer-involved shooting. Spokesperson Johnny Koremenos says agents are busy assessing the facts at this time.

Governor Scott Walker released a statement saying:

“Tonette and I send our thoughts and prayers to the students of Antigo High School, their families, and the community of Antigo. We pray for the full recovery of those injured, and we praise the response of the Antigo Police Department which undoubtedly saved lives.”

A girl and boy student were leaving the prom, and were shot as they exited the building, said Roller. Both were shot in the leg.

“In a small town like this you never imagine that something like that’s going to happen,” says Igl who knew several students attending prom Saturday night. No one she knows was hurt.

“What would have happened had he gotten into that school and just start letting loose,” she asked. “I thank God that our police department was there to take care of the situation immediately.”

The girl student has now been released from the hospital, but the boy student had to have surgery in the hospital. The officer who shot and killed Wagner is on administrative leave, according to police.

“The students that were at the prom have made it home safely. We were able to escort them out of here safely to their families,” Roller told WBAY sister station WAOW on the scene.

Antigo High School posted this statement on their Facebook page:

“Parents and Guardians‐
This message is to inform you of a shooting that occurred at the Antigo High School Prom last night. An individual armed with a rifle wounded two students as they exited the school. Because we had prearranged to have a police presence, an officer nearby immediately intervened. The shooter never gained access to the building. A police investigation is continuing, and details of the incident cannot be released until that is complete. All prom attendees are safe, thanks to the quick police response and their securing the building. Counseling services will be available in all schools tomorrow, Monday, for students and staff who may have been traumatized by this terrible incident. We are thankful police and staff acted quickly together to prevent this incident from becoming a major tragedy. Our first obligation is the safety of your children. Thank you.”

Antigo High School

Comments are closed.