RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) – 8News is proud to announce that they collected a number of awards this past week from the Virginia Associated Press and the Edward R. Murrow Awards.
Here are the WRIC-TV entries that have won awards in the 2016 Virginias Associated Press Broadcasters Contest:
- Douglas Southall Freeman Award for Public Service Through Radio Journalism: “WRIC Douglas Southall Freeman Award”
- Outstanding News Operation of The Virginias
- Outstanding Sports Operation of The Virginias
- Documentary or In-Depth Report: “Living Transgender in RVA”
- Feature or Human Interest: “The Friendship Rock”
- Feature or Human Interest: “The Decision Between Life and Limb”
- Reporter: Kristin Smith
- Spot Photography: “Boat Fire Spot Photography”
- Weathercast: “Rain to Sleet to Snow Changeover Makes for a Tough Day”
- Weathercaster: Katie Dupree
- Sports Anchor: Mitch Carr
- Sports Anchor: Chip Brierre
- Outstanding Effort by an Individual Producer: Jacqui Sweigart
- Outstanding Effort by an Individual Producer: Erika Stein
In addition, 8News won the 2016 Regional Edward R. Murrow Award for Best Newscast.
“I congratulate all of our stations for winning some of the most prestigious honors in our profession,” said Vincent L. Sadusky, President, and Chief Executive Officer, Media General. “Outstanding journalism is our hallmark and distinguishes Media General’s stations from others in our local markets.”
The Murrow Awards, presented by the Radio Television Digital News Association, reward the excellence that Edward R. Murrow made a standard for the electronic news profession. Radio, television and online news managers from markets across the country judged the entries from 14 regions across the United States and from international entrants across the globe.
Here’s a link to the winning newscast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yVLb5EdWAk&feature=youtu.be