RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — This weekend take time out to challenge your body and mind. Explore the world of medicine or test your endurance in a 10k sprint around Richmond.
If that’s not your speed, take it slow and find out why RVA loves Carytown.
Below is a list of events that are happing this weekend.
Virginia State University is offering free medical care to Petersburg Residents sponsored by AARP Virginia.
The theme for this year’s expo is “Promoting Good Health and Health Careers.”
This is a community-wide event that provides medical services while promoting health awareness for people who do not have access to primary care.
There will also be representatives from The American Heart Association, Alzheimer’s Association, Capital Area Health Education Center, and Veteran’s Administration.
Dental screenings for children aged 1-12 and screenings for high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, obesity and HIV will be offered. A local cardiologist will be present for hands-on CPR learning sessions.
This event is free and requires no pre-registration.
- When: Saturday, April 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Where: Virginia State University, 1 Hayden St, Petersburg, VA 23806
- Cost: Free
This is no regular sleep over. The Camp-In is designed to challenge the mind while having a great time.
Girls will have access to lots of hands-on activities, the opportunity to check out the museums exhibits and watch a movie in The Dome.
Girls in Medicine is recommended for middle school-aged girls
Pre-registration is required; it is $10 per child and $10 per adult.
This event is sponsored by Bon Secours Richmond Health System.
- When: Friday to Saturday, April 8,to April 9, 6 p.m. to
- Where: Virginia Science Museum, 2500 W Broad St, Richmond, Va 23220
- Cost: $10 per child, $10 per adult
Find out why RVA loves Carytown at the I Heart Carytown Craft Beer Festival at City Stadium.
Indulge in over 20 craft beers and ciders as well as food from Carytown restaurants and food trucks.
Around 5 p.m. the Richmond Kickers will take on Rochester.
There will be a free hop-on-hop-off trolley loop from City Stadium to Carytown from 3:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- When: Saturday, April 9 at 3 p.m.
- Where: Richmond City Stadium, 3201 Maplewood Ave, Richmond, Va 23221
- Cost: $15 ($10 for Season Ticket Holders) includes; Festival Admission, Kickers Game, a beer or lemonade and a souvenir Carytown pint glass while supplies last.
The theme for this year’s TEDxRVA event is ARTFUL.
According to the event site, ARTFUL is described as “a quality. An opportunity. An invitation to approach life, work and challenges as a master would his craft. It’s unbound by industry, unlimited in its expression and a wellspring of inspiration.”
- When: Friday, April 8 from 9 a.m to 5 p.m
- Where: The Carpenter Theatre at Dominion Arts Center (formerly named Richmond CenterStage), 600 E Grace St #400, Richmond, Va 23219
- Cost: $50 – $62
If you love teddy bears head to The Toy Shoppe to celebrate the release of a new line of teddy bears by Steiff of Germany.
You can also see and hold other teddy bears from all over the world.
There will be prizes and goody bag giveaways.
- When: Friday, April 8 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, April 9, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: The Toy Shoppe, 1632 Busy Street, Richmond, Va 23236
Throw on your running shoes and get limbered up. It’s time to show what you’re really made of at the Ukrops Monument Ave 10k.
The race starts at Broad Street and Harrison Street and ends at Franklin Street near Monroe Park
As you make your way along the course enjoy entertainment from Richmond Rock Exchange, DJ Rodney, What’s on Tap, Chris Lucas and many other musical performers.
After the race, head to Monroe Park for the Subway Post Race Festival.
There will be shuttle service from City Stadium and The Diamond to the race for $5.
Haven’t registered yet? You can still register at the package pickup located at the Arther Ashe center.
Click here for schedules and more information about the event.
- When: Packet pickup is Friday, April 8, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and the race is Saturday, April 9, 8:30 a.m.
- Where: Packet pickup: Arthur Ashe Athletic Center, 3001A N. Boulevard, Richmond, Va 23230
- Cost: $45 – $55
Click here to view other events happening this weekend.