RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Detectives need your help to identify skeletal remains found earlier this month along the James River.
According to the Richmond Police Department, at 2:40 p.m. on March 7, officers responded to the 5000 block of Riverside Drive for a report of skeletal remains found in the woods between the roadway and the river. Several items of clothing were found near the remains, including:
- A blue “Thermosoft” knit hat.
- A “Faded Glory” ¼ zip fleece coat size 2XL that was dark in color.
- A “Champions” football jersey size 2XL for the Minnesota Vikings with the #84 & MOSS on the jersey.
- A pair of “New Balance” men’s walking shoes size 12 that were white in color with green trim.
- A “Geneva” quartz wrist watch, with a black band. The watch had a distinct (24 hour) time piece and a 360-degree compass marking band.
Police believe the individual was a black male between the age of 33 and 49-years-old, 5 feet 9 inches to 6 feet 3 inches tall. He had several previously healed bone fractures on the leg, ribs and skill. The fractures may have caused him to walk with a limp and suffer hearing loss in the left ear. There was also extensive tooth loss believed to result from poor oral hygiene.
The remains have been examined by an anthropologist at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. The examination indicates the remains have been in the area for an extended period of time. A biological profile for the remains has also been developed.
Anyone who recalls an individual matching this description is asked to call Major Crimes Detective Victoria Griffith-Matko at (804) 646-3912 or Crime Stoppers at 780-1000. Citizens can also text Crime Stoppers at 274637 using the key word “ITip” followed by your tip or submit a tip online at http://www.7801000.com. All Crime Stoppers methods are anonymous.
Stay with 8News for updates to this developing story.