RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Although no one in Virginia won the unprecedented Powerball jackpot on Wednesday, the Commonwealth did benefit from the excitement.
Throughout the 20 drawings of the jackpot run that began in November and ended with last night’s drawing, sales of Powerball tickets in Virginia generated approximately $34.7 million in profit, which ultimately goes toward K-12 public education in the state.
In the January 13 drawing alone, more than 700,000 Powerball tickets bought in the Commonwealth won prizes — including two tickets that each won $1 million, four tickets that each won $100,000 and 20 tickets that each won $50,000.
Here’s where all of those winning tickets were bought:
$1 million winners:
- 7-Eleven, 2093 Lynnhavern Parkway, Virginia Beach
- 7-Eleven, 2035 Roanoke Blvd., Salem
- Wawa, 15 Eustace Road, Stafford
- 7-Eleven, 814 Baker Road, Virginia Beach
- Ruther Glen Exxon Pit Stop, 24270 Rogers Clark Blvd., Ruther Glen
- 7-Eleven, 4718 Jeff Davis Highway, Richmond
- Manassas Mall Exxon, 8289 Sudley Road, Manassas
- 7-Eleven, 1700 Independence Blvd., Virginia Beach
- 7-Eleven, 2444 Nimmo Parkway, Virginia Beach
- 7-Eleven, 1115 Colonial Avenue, Norfolk
- Minit Mart Food Store, 1120 Courthouse Road, Richmond
- 7-Eleven, 15621 Jeff Davis Highway, Woodbridge
- Schmitz Exxon One Loudoun, 44680 Wellfleet Drive, Ashburn
- 7-Eleven, 2475 East Little Creek Road, Norfolk
- 7-Eleven, 1729 Military Highway South, Chesapeake
- 7-Eleven, 2256 Red Tide Road, Virginia Beach
- Fas Mart, 409 Quillen Avenue, SE, Coeburg
- 7-Eleven, 242 South Battlefield Blvd., Chesapeake
- 7-Eleven, 9402 Richmond Highway, Lorton
- 7-Eleven, 13940 Jeff Davis Highway, Woodbridge
- Super Giant, 5701 Plank Road, Fredericksburg
- Food Lion, 260 Remount Road, Front Royal
- Summer Shop, 2210 Electric Road, Roanoke
- Happy Shopper, 1116 Big Bethel Road, Hampton
- La Bodega Supermarket, 6170 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church
- 7-Eleven, 320 North Arch Road, Richmond
If you add up all the winning tickets in Virginia for the January 13 Powerball drawing, it comes to nearly $7 million in prizes.
Those four $100,000 tickets would have won $50,000, except that whoever bought them spent an extra dollar for Power Play when he or she bought the ticket, which increased the prize to $100,000.
Stay with 8News for more on this developing story.