Suspect in Richmond robbery, abduction sentenced to 95 years

UPDATE: Frank Reid has been sentenced to 95 years in prison for his abduction and shooting charges.


RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The suspect in a robbery and abduction case from November in Richmond has entered an Alford plea on all counts he was facing.

This means that 36-year-old Frank E. Reid does not admit guilt, but admits there is enough evidence to convict him of the crimes which have been brought against him.

Reid has now been convicted of the following charges:

-1 count attempted capital murder of law enforcement officer

-2 counts abduction

-1 count malicious wounding

-1 count carjacking

-2 counts robbery

-7 counts of firearms charges

Reid will now be sentenced for his convictions on November 21.

The convictions stem from an incident that occurred around 12:30 p.m. on November 16

At the time, two men were abducted by an armed suspect, who police identified as Reid, at a gas station in the 2600 block of E. Main Street in Shockoe Bottom. Police said Reid held the two victims at gunpoint, demanding money, then forced them to drive to the Bank of America at 1111 E. Main Street. Authorities said that one victim entered the bank to withdraw money. No funds were withdrawn, and the authorities were notified of the situation. The first victim remained inside the bank.

Officers responded to the bank and said they found Reid vehicle driving away with the second victim still inside. At approximately 12:52 p.m. officers initiated a pursuit, following the SUV through numerous city neighborhoods, into Henrico County and back into the Church Hill area.

As the SUV approached the intersection of Magnolia Street and Mechanicsville Turnpike in Henrico County, Henrico Police deployed spike strips, which punctured the SUV’s tires. The vehicle was unable to make the turn from 25th Street onto R Street and collided with a parked car before it came to a stop. The pursuit lasted about 30 minutes and never exceeded a speed of 35 mph.

Gunfire was exchanged between the officers and Reid. Both the victim and Reid were taken to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries but are currently in stable condition. Reid was released from the hospital recently before appearing in court on Thursday.

Stay with 8News for continuing coverage of this developing story.

Comments are closed.