CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Power has been restored for the more than 1,200 residents in Chesterfield County who were without power for hours Tuesday night as crews worked to make repairs after an equipment fire.
Residents told 8News they lost power between 6:30 and 7 p.m. Dominion Virginia Power said the outage was caused by a power pole that caught fire near the intersection of Hull Street and Post Office Road. While 8News was on scene, our cameras captured the pole as it continued to smoke after crews extinguished the fire.
Battling the coldest evening of this winter season was an issue for many. Others who ventured out for dinner and/or supplies said they quickly realized they weren’t alone, as most of their neighbors and area businesses were also in the dark.
“We’ve got a generator, so we’re using it just for one room,” said Enid Lugo, one of the many residents who lost power. “(We’re) not lighting up the entire house, just keep it minimized because we don’t know how long we are going to be without power.”
Power has since been restored.