Teen girl hospitalized after rescuing dog inside apartment fire

(Photos: Chesterfield Fire)

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A teen was transported to the hospital after a fire at a Chesterfield apartment building on Monday.

Fire crews responded to the single story apartment building at the Maisonette Apartments in the 2500 block of Alfalfa Lane. Officials say one unit had caught fire and incurred significant damage. Three other units had only minor smoke damage.

(Photo: Chesterfield Fire)
(Photo: Chesterfield Fire)

Fire officials say a female juvenile was inside the apartment with fire. She escaped, but went back inside to rescue her dog, who was unconscious when she went inside. She came back out with the animal and had suffered minor smoke inhalation. The dog was revived and is doing fine and the teen girl was transported to an area hospital. She is expected to be fine.

The girl is one of three people who were displaced. They are being assisted by the Red Cross.

Fire Marshals determined the fire started in the bedroom, but have not determined an exact cause.

Stay with 8News for updates to this developing story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s