HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Thanksgiving plans are now up in the air for seven children and three adults – some who were visiting for the holidays – after a fire broke out in the attic of a Henrico home Monday afternoon.
“I turned around and I saw black smoke from behind the refrigerator,” homeowner Tion Patterson said as she described the scary moments leading up to the fire.
Within a matter of seconds, the Patterson family’s Thanksgiving plans had gone up in flames. Patterson was doing chores around her Forrestford Road home when suddenly she smelled smoke. When she spotted that black smoke behind the fridge, she unplugged it and called 911.
“As I was coming to the front I saw flames and they were like really large,” describes Patterson.
Within three minutes, Henrico fires crews were on scene and quickly knocked out the blaze. While their is little damage to the interior of the house, crews did have to cut power to the three-bedroom home, forcing the family out. The Red Cross was there this afternoon assisting and will be putting the family up for a few nights, but there will be no turkey dinner in this home this Thanksgiving.
“We usually cook, but it’s OK, worse things have happened to better people, we’re alive,” Patterson said.
Stay with 8News for updates.