Crews respond to house fire started by ashes, leaves in Henrico

Credit: Henrico Fire

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Fire crews responded to a house fire in the 5500 block of Luxford Court on Sunday afternoon.

When crews arrived to the two story home, smoke was visible.  The family had been able to extinguish majority of the fire with a garden hose before fire crews arrived.

Crews began to extinguish the remainder of the fire and it was marked under control shortly after crews arrived.

The fire was ruled accidental. Henrico Fire says it was caused by ashes from a fire pit placed in a plastic trash can.  The trash can was against the home with bags of leave nearby and the ashes ignited the trash can, leaves, and the side of the home.

There weren’t any injuries in this incident.

Henrico Fire would like to remind everyone when using wood burning fireplaces to follow some basic safety guidelines. Ashes from a previous fire can stay hot for days and can catch plastic and paper on fire. Remember to always place ashes in a metal container and away from the home.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s