Man, dog escape Henrico house fire

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A man and his dog are OK after a bathroom vent sparked a fire inside their home Monday.

Henrico County fire crews responded to the fire in the 300 block of E. Washington Avenue off Airport Drive shortly after 1 p.m. First arriving units found smoke coming from the single-story home and located fire inside the bathroom area.

The owner of the home was not inside at the time of the fire. Fire crews say he came home to find his smoke alarm going of and his home filled with smoke. He was able to get he and his dog out of the house safely, although crews had to administer oxygen to the dog on scene.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental in nature and attributed to a bathroom ventilation fan.

Captain Danny Rosenbaum with Henrico Fire warns the public to clean their ventilation fans often.

“Most often these fans can be the source of a fire due to the accumulation of lint,” he said. “These fans should be cleaned on a regular basis to reduce the risk of fire. Older units did not have thermal protection which means they can overheat when the motor becomes overwhelmed. Consider replacing older vent fans with one that has thermal protection. Finally, consider installing a timer for vent fans so that they do not run for extended periods of time.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s