3 displaced after unattended cooking sparks Chesterfield apartment fire

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Fire crews responded to an apartment fire in Chesterfield on Sunday.

Firefighters were called to the scene in the 5500 block of Handel Court around 9:00 p.m. Crews arrived to heavy smoke coming from the front of the apartment. Inside, they found active fire in the kitchen and quickly extinguished it. It took crews approximately 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

Fire Marshals determined the fire started in the kitchen as a result of unattended cooking.

There were no injuries; however, three occupants were displaced and are being assisted by Red Cross and apartment management. The apartment suffered significant damage in the kitchen, while five other adjacent apartments suffered minor smoke damage.

Stay with 8News for any updates.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s