1st Snowfall Contest
Thank you for all of the entries! We have received over 2000 individual guesses. We are now waiting on the snow. We will keep you updated during the course of the winter with how many entries are left and of course we will make a big announcement when we have a winner.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The 1st Snowfall Contest (the “Promotion”) is sponsored by Young Broadcasting of Richmond, Inc. d/b/a WRIC-TV (“WRIC”) and James River Heating & Air Conditioning Company (“James River Air”) (together, the “Promotion Parties”). Promotion is only offered in the following Virginia counties or independent cities: Amelia, Brunswick, Buckingham, Caroline, Charles City, Chesterfield, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Essex, Fluvanna, Goochland, Greensville, Hanover, Henrico, King and Queen, King William, Lancaster, Louisa, Lunenburg, Middlesex, New Kent, Northumberland, Nottoway, Orange, Powhatan, Prince Edward, Prince George, Richmond (County & Independent City), Spotsylvania, and Sussex (the “Promotion Area”). Void outside Promotion Area and where prohibited.
2. Promotion is subject to all federal, state and local laws. WRIC shall be entitled to interpret these Official Rules as needed — including but not limited to rules regarding entries, deadlines, winner selection, prize restrictions, and eligibility — and all of its decisions are final. By entering, each entrant irrevocably, fully and unconditionally agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and waives any right to claim ambiguity in these Official Rules and or any other Promotion-related advertising or materials.
3. Promotion begins on October 28, 2015. Final entry deadline is November 30, 2015 at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Time (“ET”). Potential winner will be determined within three (3) business days of the first Eligible Snowfall (as defined below) but no later than April 5, 2016. WRIC’s computer is the official time-keeping device for this Promotion.
4. Entrants are providing information to WRIC. The information entrants provide will only be used for administration of the Promotion and as otherwise set forth in these Official Rules. Any questions that entrants have about this Promotion must be directed to WRIC.
5. To be eligible, each entrant must be at least eighteen (18) years old and a legal resident of the Promotion Area (above).
6. Employees of WRIC, James River Heating & Air Conditioning Company, and the members of their immediate families (defined as spouse, parents, siblings, children, and the “in-laws” of each) and households (whether or not related), are not eligible to enter or win. The term “household” includes all persons residing together in a single residence, whether or not related.
7. In addition, you are not eligible to win a prize in this Promotion if you have won and received a prize in any WRIC-sponsored prize promotion in the sixty (60) days prior to any prize notification in this Promotion.
8. Prize (1): $500 Visa Check Card. Approximate Retail Value: $500.
9. The odds of winning depend on the number of correct entries received.
10. Gift card prizes are subject to all terms and conditions thereon as well as any additional limitations or restrictions imposed by issuer.
11. All prize details shall be at WRIC’s sole discretion. Winner assumes sole responsibility for all expenses and incidental costs associated with the prize not explicitly outlined above, including without limitation, all federal, state and local taxes (if any), any other taxes, fees, surcharges and incidentals.
12. Prize is not redeemable for cash and may not be sold, bartered or auctioned. Prize or portion thereof not accepted by winner is forfeited and no cash substitute will be offered or permitted. The right to receive any prize is not transferrable. Prize may not be substituted except that WRIC in its discretion may substitute a prize, or portion thereof, with a prize or portion of equal or greater value if it deems necessary. Any such changes will be announced.
13. Prize offered is provided “as is” with no warranty or guarantee either express or implied by WRIC. Promotion Parties have neither made nor are responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to prize. Other restrictions apply.
14. Entries will be accepted beginning October 28, 2015 at 12:00:01 a.m. ET and ending November 30, 2015 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET.
15. To enter, visit wric.com (the “Promotion Page”) and follow the instructions to complete an official entry form with:
a. All required information, which may include name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and date of birth or age; and
b. Your prediction of the date (Month, Date & Year) of when one (1) inch of continuous snow will be achieved in the Richmond area during Fall/Winter of 2015-16 (starting on December 1, 2015 and ending on March 31, 2016) (the “Eligible Snowfall”) as described and limited below.
16. To qualify as the Eligible Snowfall, the snowfall must occur between December 1, 2015 at 12:00:01 a.m. ET and March 31, 2016 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET and in the Richmond area, as measured by the official snow measurement taken from the Richmond International Airport’s National Weather Service Gauge. In addition, the entire inch of snow must be accumulated snow from a single weather system. For example, ¾” of snow falls on January 9, 2016 and there is already ¼” of snow from a previous system, it would not qualify as the Eligible Snowfall.
17. Entries will not be accepted via any other method. All entries must be received by WRIC no later than November 30, 2015 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt by WRIC. WRIC will not accept screen shots as proof of entry.
18. Limit one (1) entry per person. Additional entries received from any such person thereafter will be subject to disqualification. Any use of robotic, repetitive, automatic, programmed, script, macro, or any other automated means or similar entry methods or agents (including, but not limited to, contest-entry services or multiple or different e-mail addresses, identities, registrations, Facebook accounts, or logins) are prohibited and will void all entries submitted by that entrant. No group submissions will be accepted.
19. Entries must include a valid e-mail address for the entrant. WRIC is not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable as a result of any form of passive or active filtering of any kind.
20. Entrants who fail to provide any required information may be disqualified without further notification by WRIC. WRIC is not responsible for entries that are lost, misdirected, garbled, distorted, truncated, incomplete, illegible, incorrect or late for any reason, and all such entries are void. WRIC reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry at any time that in its opinion does not comply with these Official Rules. Entries become the property of WRIC and will not be returned or acknowledged.
SELECTION, NOTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION OF WINNER
22. Within approximately three (3) business days after the first Eligible Snowfall (as defined above) but in no event later than April 5, 2016, WRIC or its designee will review the entries received to determine whether any entrant correctly guessed the Eligible Snowfall. Subject to verification of eligibility, the following methods will be used to identify the winner:
a. One or More Correct Entrants: If only one (1) entrant has correctly guessed the date of the first Eligible Snowfall, that entrant will be declared the winner. If multiple entrants have correctly guessed the date of the first Eligible Snowfall, the winner will be selected from those correct entrants in a random drawing.
b. No Correct Entrants: If no entrant has correctly guessed the date of the first Eligible Snowfall, the winner will be selected from all properly submitted entries in a random drawing.
c. No Eligible Snowfall: In the event that there has been no Eligible Snowfall by March 31, 2016 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET, the winner will be selected from all properly entries in a random drawing.
23. WRIC will contact potential winner in accordance with the information supplied to WRIC on his or her entry form. Winner must respond to initial notification within forty-eight (48) hours and may be required to present valid photo identification, signed affidavit or declaration of eligibility, liability release, publicity release (where legal), tax forms and/or other legal documents to WRIC no later than seven (7) days after initial notification. WRIC in its sole discretion may allow transmission of verification documents via fax or e-mail. Winner must pick up prize in person at WRIC’s offices at 301 Arboretum Place, Richmond, Virginia on a non-holiday week day during regular business hours (9:00 a.m. ET to 5:00 p.m. ET).
24. In the event that potential winner (a) cannot be contacted directly by, or does not respond to, WRIC within forty-eight (48) hours of initial attempted notification, (b) fails to satisfy any eligibility or verification requirement herein, (c) declines to accept the prize, (d) or is otherwise determined to be ineligible, WRIC in its discretion may disqualify that individual and, an alternate winner will be chosen by random drawing as soon as reasonably practicable after such disqualification. Any alternate winners are subject to all eligibility requirements and restrictions of these Official Rules. WRIC will conduct up to three (3) alternate drawings. If WRIC cannot verify a winner after three (3) alternate drawings, no further drawings will be held and the prize will not be awarded.
25. WRIC may, in its sole discretion, post the verified winner’s name on the Promotion Page and/or any of WRIC’s websites, including http://www.wric.com.
26. By accepting a prize, winner agrees to award WRIC the right to publicize his or her name, photographs (including the use and appearance of winner’s photograph on WRIC’s websites), likeness, biographical information, e-mail address, voice and details of winning for purposes of this and future promotions without further compensation, except where prohibited.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY & DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
27. By entering, each entrant agrees that WRIC, James River Air, Media General, Inc., Facebook, any other company involved in the development or administration of this Promotion, and a range of subsidiaries, directors, agents, agencies, affiliates, franchisees, promoters, prize suppliers, officers, directors, employees and related persons (collectively, “Released Parties”): (a) are not responsible for technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to lost, disconnected, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections, late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail, or for any failed telephone or computer hardware or software, or for any failed, delayed, misdirected, corrupted, or garbled transmissions or errors of any kind, whether human, mechanical, or electronic, or for entries that for any reason are not received by WRIC by any deadline stated above; (b) are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion or in the printing of this offer, administration of this Promotion, or in the announcement of the prize; (c) are not responsible for any injury or damage to any computer, modem or other electrical device as a result of participation in this Promotion or downloading of any software or materials; (d) are not responsible for unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Promotion; (e) are not responsible for any printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error that may occur in the administration of the Promotion, the acceptance of entries, the selection of winner, the prize or otherwise in any Promotion-related materials; (f) are not responsible for any unauthorized third party use of any entry; (g) are not responsible for the inability to select winner because of postal failure, equipment failure, or data storage failure; and (h) are released from any and all alleged, existing, or future actions, claims, and/or liabilities of whatever nature including, but not limited to, personal injury, bodily injury (including, without limitation, wrongful death and disability), property damage, and expense (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees) and loss or damage of any other kind, arising in whole or in part directly or indirectly, from participating in the Promotion (in whole or in part), the use (including modification, adaptation, and reproduction) of entry materials during or after the Promotion, and the delivery, acceptance, possession, redemption, use, misuse, loss, or misdirection of any prize.
28. RELEASED PARTIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES MADE OR OFFERED BY ADVERTISERS, PARTNERS, MANUFACTURERS OR SUPPLIERS, INCLUDING THOSE RELATED TO ANY PRIZE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION AND/OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE PROMOTION OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, AWARD OF ANY PRIZE OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THESE OFFICIAL RULES. RELEASED PARTIES OFFER NO ASSURANCES, GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES THAT THE PROMOTION OR RELATED WEBSITES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE PROMOTION. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROMOTION, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL.
29. BY ENTERING THE PROMOTION AND/OR ACCEPTING A PRIZE, YOU AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY YOU AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE, INJURY OR LOSS TO PERSON (INCLUDING DEATH) OR PROPERTY RELATED IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, REDEMPTION, USE OR MISUSE OF PRIZE, PARTICIPATION IN ANY PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY, USE BY A RELEASED PARTY OF ANY ENTRY, PARTICIPATION IN THE PROMOTION, OR ANY OTHER CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST A RELEASED PARTY.
30. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU IN WHOLE OR IN PART.
31. WRIC reserves the right to cancel, suspend or terminate this Promotion or any part thereof, in the event that WRIC determines, in its sole discretion, that the security, administration, fairness and/or operation of the Promotion has been corrupted or impaired by any non-authorized intervention, network failure, information storage failure, telecommunications failure, malfunction, or any other cause beyond WRIC’s control. In such an event, WRIC will post notice of same at the Promotion Page and select the winner by conducting a random drawing from among all non-suspect entries received prior to the suspension, cancellation or termination of the Promotion or in such other manner as WRIC, in its sole discretion, deems fair and appropriate under the circumstances.
32. WRIC reserves the right to disqualify any individual from further participation in the Promotion if WRIC concludes, in its sole discretion, that such person (a) has attempted to tamper with the entry process or other operation of the Promotion, (b) has repeatedly disregarded or has attempted to circumvent these Official Rules, or (c) has acted towards WRIC, any other Promotion Party or any other entrant in an unfair, inequitable, deliberately annoying, threatening, disrupting or harassing manner. Tampering includes attempting to enter more than the number of times permitted herein, including through the use of any prohibited device or method. Any failure by WRIC to enforce any of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of such Official Rules.
33. ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DEFRAUD, TAMPER WITH, OR DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE, THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS AND WRIC RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PURSUE ANY AVAILABLE DAMAGES OR REMEDIES AGAINST SUCH INDIVIDUAL AND/OR REFER SUCH MATTERS TO LAW ENFORCEMENT FOR PROSECUTION TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
34. All activity arising out of and relating to the Promotion, including any reference to an entrant’s status as a “winner,” is subject to verification and/or auditing for compliance with the Official Rules. If WRIC determines, in its sole discretion, that verification or auditing activity evidences non-compliance of an entry and/or entrant with the Official Rules, WRIC reserves the right to disqualify such entry and/or entrant from the Promotion and any prize at any time. WRIC reserves the right to conduct a background check on any or all potential winners and to disqualify any individual based on such background check if WRIC determines in its sole discretion that awarding a prize to any such individual might reflect negatively on WRIC. Each entrant agrees to cooperate with WRIC and its representatives in connection with any and all verification, auditing and/or background check activities.
35. WRIC reserves the right to correct typographical, printing or clerical errors in any promotion-related materials. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed, WRIC reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing from among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims.
36. By entering the Promotion, each entrant agrees that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Promotion, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Promotion, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages other than actual out-of-pocket expenses. Some jurisdictions do not allow for limitations on the ability to pursue class action remedies, or certain kinds of damages, and so these limitations may not apply to you.
37. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between any terms or conditions of these Official Rules and any disclosures or other statements contained in any other Promotion-related materials, including but not limited to the Promotion entry forms, or point of sale, television, print, mobile or online advertising, the terms and conditions of these Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
38. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrants or Released Parties in connection with the Promotion, shall be governed by Virginia law, without giving effect to any choice of law rules that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Virginia. Each entrant expressly agrees that any legal proceedings arising out of or relating in any way to this Promotion or these Official Rules shall be brought only in the federal or state courts located in Richmond, Virginia, and each entrant consents to the mandatory and exclusive jurisdiction in such courts with respect to any such legal proceedings.
39. In the event that any provision of these Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
WINNER’S NAME/OFFICIAL RULES
40. For a copy of the Official Rules or the final Winner’s Name, visit the Promotion Page or http://www.wric.com or mail a SASE to: 1st Snowfall Contest c/o WRIC, 301 Arboretum Place, Richmond, VA 23236, specifying either “Winner’s Name” or “Official Rules.” Winner’s Name will be available after April 19, 2016.
41. Facebook is not a sponsor of this Promotion. Any third party trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective trademark owners. The use or mention of such third party trademarks in these Official Rules or in the Promotion is solely for descriptive purposes and shall in no way imply an endorsement or sponsorship of the Promotion.