RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) – Do you think of pumpkin-flavored ales and crisp ciders when the fall season rolls around?
If so, you’re in the right place!
We reached out to many local distributors to see what sort of seasonal brews and ciders their serving up this fall.
As you scroll through the list below, we’ve provided links to the brewery’s websites so you can read a description of each brew to help you decide which ones you’re going to try.
Richmond, as you may already know, has emerged as a premier destination for craft beer heads with a handful of award-winning breweries scattered across the River City.
Whether you pick up a six pack or venture out to enjoy a cold one on site – such as Central Virginia’s oldest brewery, Legend Brewing Company, which offers an amazing view of the city from its patio – we hope you’ll give one or two of these a try!
- Legend OKTOBERFEST
- Gingerbread Gourd of Thunder Imperial Pumpkin Porter (this one is still in formulation)
- Chocolate Gourd of Thunder Imperial Pumpkin Porter
- Pecan Gourd of Thunder Imperial Pumpkin Porter
- Gourd of Thunder Imperial Pumpkin Porter
- Hardywood Farmhouse Pumpkin
- Mask of Red Death (COMING SOON: This Imperial Red Ale is set to be released on Halloween!)
- Sweet Potato and Sage Ale
- “The One” Pumpkin Ale
- ‘Stunt Dubbel’
- Maple Mistress
- Rum Pumpkin
- Hopped Cider
- Pumpkin Down
- Funky Pumpkin
- Maiden’s Adventure
Hard cider is simply fermented apple juice, just as wine is fermented grape juice. The growingly popular beverage is a Virginia tradition (Did you know that in 2012, Virginia became the first state to have an official “Cider Week” proclaimed by Governor Terry McAuliffe?). This year’s week-long celebration is scheduled for November 13-22 and will feature special tastings, pairings, dinners, events and workshops (Richmond will be hosting its own cider celebration too!). Click here for more information.
Richmond is home to Virginia’s first and only urban cidery, Blue Bee Cider, but you can find others on the outskirts of Central Virginia that are within driving distance.
This local cidery has two seasonal selections set to be released in the coming weeks:
- Barrell-Aged Hopsap Shandy (coming the weekend of October 24-25)
- Millrace Bramble (coming the first weekend in November)
- Hopped Cider
Other Virginia cideries within a 2-hour drive:
Click here to check out our Autumn Adventures page. It’s full of great ideas to explore this fall season!