Henrico County kitchen fire quickly extinguished by fire crews

CREDIT: Henrico County Division of Fire

HENRICO COUNTY, Va (WRIC) – Henrico County Division of Fire units responded to 800 block of Early Forest Cirle for the report of a house fire at 10:19 Saturday night. First arriving units were on scene within six minutes and reported smoke coming from the front of the single story home.

According to Henrico County fire officials, on the inside, fire crews found a small blaze in the kitchen of the home. The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the kitchen. The fire was marked under control at 10:25 PM.

The fire was determined to have been accidental in nature and caused by cooking in the kitchen. Everyone in the home was able to make it out uninjured. Because of the quick extinguishment, the family will only be displaced from the home for a short period of time.

According to Capt. Daniel Rosenbaum, looking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. It’s important to be alert to prevent cooking fires.

What you should know:

  • Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food.
  • If you are simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s