Michigan deputy shot with crossbow; suspect identified

CATO TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Family has identified the Montcalm County sheriff’s deputy who was shot with a crossbow as Michael Kotenko.

Kotenko was flown by helicopter to a Grand Rapids-area hospital, where his condition has stabilized, investigators said. The hospital confirms he is currently in serious condition.

Family members told 8News sister station 24 Hour News 8 that  Travis Quay, 40, is the man who was killed by police after he shot Kotenko with a crossbow.

The incident happened in the 8000 block of Townline Rd, just east of Lakeview in Cato Township, state police told 24 Hour News 8.

Investigators say four officers responded to the home including a trooper from MSP’s Lakeview Post, and Kotenko. They were there to arrest Quay who was accused of assault, police said.

While they were trying to arrest Quay, he shot at the officers with a crossbow, hitting Kotenko in his side. The trooper fired back at Quay and killed him.

“This is an unfortunate, tragic situation, but certainly highlights the dangers that our law enforcement officers face everyday,” said MSP Lt. Rob Davis. “In terms of our policy, obviously, an officer that reasonably believes that there’s imminent danger of death or bodily harm has the right to defend himself or others.”

According to next-door neighbor Kevin Schultz, there is a long story that led up to the incident.

Schultz says Quay came over to his house three times Saturday morning, claiming Schultz had stolen his marijuana plants. He says Quay appeared intoxicated and was threatening his family with a knife.

Schultz says eventually his brother went over to Quay’s house to ask him what was going on, and that is when he says Quay got violent.

“He pulled in there, he was just like what is going on. [Quay] just comes out with a pitchfork out of no where and said, ‘I will tell you what is going on’ and stabbed him right in the arm,” Schultz told 24 Hour News 8.

Schultz said his brother wasn’t seriously hurt, but that is when he and his father decided to call police. When officers arrived, Quay apparently took off.

According to Schultz, officers staked out the house for hours, but left after they were unable to find Quay. Police advised Schultz and his father to call back when Quay returned.

Around midnight, Quay returned and that’s when things escalated quickly with officers, according to Schultz.

“It was just pop, pop, pop and I’m like what the heck. Finally, Buddy pulled in here and he was like, ‘[Quay] got one of the cops with a crossbow,” Schultz said.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday on Quay.

Michigan State Police are currently conducting an investigation into the incident.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s