HENRICO CO., Va. (WRIC) — Crews rescued four people, including two children, from an apartment that was partially on fire Friday afternoon.
Captain Danny Rosenbaum with Henrico Fire said crews responded to the 200 block of Engleside Drive where a small kitchen fire was producing not a lot of flames, but heavy smoke on the second story of the apartment.
When crews arrived, they found a small child being handed out a second-story window to another adult below.
Crews quickly rescued four additional residents from the second-story bedroom windows, including one child who was trapped in a back room.
Inside crews found a small kitchen fire that had been extinguished by an over the stove fire extinguisher, which prevented the fire from spreading to other apartments in the building.
Unattended cooking is the probable cause of the fire, however nothing has been confirmed at this point. The apartment where the fire originated was the only unit to sustain fire and/or smoke damage.
Six residents will be displaced for a short period of time and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News for updates.